To many people, there is nothing more relaxing then the fragrant aroma of their favorite incense sticks. Whether burned while enjoying a warm bath, or during a yoga session, incense brightens moods and provides a tranquil atmosphere.
However, some people are not accustomed to incense, and may not know how to burn incense sticks properly and safely.
Burning incense is rather safe, but one of the first things to keep in mind is that lit incense sticks can potentially cause fires if not placed in a proper location. It should be kept away from flammable materials.
Other then that, it is quite simple to burn incense.
- Take your incense stick and hold it by the bamboo end of the stick.
- Light the end of your incense stick with a lighter until a small flame is created.
- Wait a few seconds and blow the flame out. You should now be left with a red ember on the end of the stick.
- Place your incense stick in an appropriate incense burner and place it away from any flammable materials.
- Enjoy the fragrance aroma!
Read our incense safety tips below!
Incense Safety Tips
- It can never hurt to mention that incense is hot. Particularly when using charcoal, keep in mind that you want to keep a distance from the burning material. Charcoal can burn up to 1500 degrees fahrenheit.
- Incense sticks can easily burn holes into clothing, so handle them with care.
- Be sure to burn your incense on a heat-resistant surface to prevent any possible fires or markings.
- Always be conscious of the location where you are burning incense. It is important to keep it away from drapes or other flammable textiles.
- It is recommended to burn incense within a well ventilated area.
- Individuals who are asthmatic are advised not to use incense without first checking with a doctor, as it may worsen their condition.
- If you are pregnant, it is advised to ask a doctor before burning incense.
- Do not try to ingest any incense or incense related compounds as they are typically not produced for consumption and may contain ingredients which are not meant to be ingested.